The 2015 Developmental Workshop on Open Research and Practice in Information Systems will be held on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 (prior to ECIS 2015 in Münster, Germany).
This full-day workshop will provide a developmental forum for participants to discuss and develop research-in-progress investigating a wide variety of “open” phenomena and practices, such as
- The Peer Production of Knowledge Goods (e.g. open source software, hardware, content and design; the collaborative economy and the sharing society; etc.),
- Collective Intelligence, Action and Resources (e.g. open innovation; the wisdom/wealth/power of crowds; social media in extreme events; citizen science; volunteer computing; crowdsourcing/funding; etc.),
- Open Science and Education (e.g. open data/access; publishing and data management conflicts; open teaching and learning; micro-scholarship; open peer-review; etc.)
The workshop will include formal 30 minute presentations in the morning and then focus on small group work (with round-table discussions of thematically linked papers moderated by a member of the workshop’s mentoring committee) in the afternoon.
The emphasis will be on focused, pragmatic engagement to support researchers in solving the problems they are presently facing with the work (e.g. theory development, data analysis, communication of results, etc.) There will also be opportunities for broader discussion amongst the full group of workshop participants.
Joseph Feller, University College Cork, IRELAND (Co-Chair, Mentor)
Matt Germonprez, University of Nebraska at Omaha, USA (Co-Chair)
Lorraine Morgan, LERO/NUI Galway, IRELAND (Mentor)
Pär J. Ågerfalk, Uppsala University, SWEDEN (Mentor)
Sherae Daniel, University of Pittsburgh, USA
Pat Finnegan, UNSW Business School, AUSTRALIA
Michael Cahalane, UNSW Business School, AUSTRALIA
Jae Yun Moon, Korea University Business School, KOREA
Matthew Levy, San Francisco State University, USA
Workshop Schedule and Extended Abstracts:
0915-0945 Paper 1: OPEN MODELING FOR USER-GENERATED CONTENT Jeff Parsons and Roman Lukyanenko Extended Abstract
0945-1015 Paper 2: OPEN ACCESS AND OPEN FILE FORMATS FOR LONG-TERM SUSTAINABILITY OF DIGITAL ASSETS AND ASSOCIATED SOFTWARE IN OPEN SCIENCE Bjorn Lundell, Jonas Gamalielsson, and Helena Francke Extended Abstract
1015-1045 Paper 3: SOCIAL CAPITAL AND VALUE CREATION IN OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE COMMUNITIES: THE ROLE OF FIRM-SPONSORED DEVELOPERS Dirk Homscheid Extended Abstract
1045-1115 Paper 4: OSS DEVELOPER-COMMUNITY ROLE CONFLICT AND ORGANIZATIONAL TURNOVER Mario Schaarschmidt Extended Abstract
1115-1130 COFFEE BREAK
1130-1200 Paper 5: OPEN SOURCE IN MOBILE PLATFORMS AND ECOSYSTEMS: A CASE FROM FINLAND Jose Teixeira Extended Abstract
1200-1230 Paper 6: OPEN STRATEGY: TOWARDS A SHARED UNDERSTANDING Asin Tavakoli, Daniel Schlagwein, and Detlef Schoder Extended Abstract
1230-1300 Paper 7: IS-ENABLED CROWD-SOLVING AND ORGANIZATIONAL TRANSFORMATION Gregory Savi and Frantz Rowe Extended Abstract
1400-1630 SMALL GROUP WORK
• Group 1 (Open Content and Data) – Papers 1 and 2 with Pär Ågerfalk
• Group 2 (Open Communities and Firms) – Papers 3 and 4 with Joseph Feller
• Group 3 (Open Strategies) – Papers 5, 6 and 7 with Lorraine Morgan
1630-1645 WRAP UP (and off to the castle!)
Call for Papers
Prospective participants should:
- Send an email indicating intent to submit/proposed title to firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan 15, 2015.
- Submit an extended abstract using the ECIS 2015 template to email@example.com by Feb 15, 2015.
- The extended abstract should contain the author(s) details, title, extended abstract (500 words maximum) and references (not to exceed 1 page).
- Abstracts will be reviewed and authors will be notified of acceptance by March 15, 2015.
- Abstracts will be made available online prior to the meeting.
- Authors submitting abstracts must grant the non-exclusive right to organizers the right to publish them on the workshop website, but retain full copyright.
Letter of Intent deadline: Jan 15, 2015
Extended Abstract Submission deadline: Feb 15th, 2015
Notification of Acceptance: March 15th, 2015
Workshop Date: May 26, 2015